Monday, November 19, 2007

Sense & sensibility and all that jazz

I've been thinking about the differences between reformed churches, like the reformed Baptist church I go to, and other denominations like Pentecostal churches. It seems that reformed churches tend to put a greater emphasis on the mind and and intellectual stuff like systematic theology and all that, while the others tend to put greater emphasis on feelings and evangelism.

That's my theory anyway -- I don't know enough about Pentecostal churches etc to tell for sure. But I was thinking how it's a pity that the two sides remain so separate. I think an ideal church would not place more emphasis on either intellectualism or feelings, but rather balance the two -- the head and the heart. Each by themselves tends to lead to extremes, but together they balance each other.


It struck me that it was kind of funny -- although perhaps not surprising -- that I was thinking this. If I was to pick a word to describe myself, "balanced" might be it. I am both a very logical and a very imaginative type of person, so I think my head and heart balance each other quite nicely. Which I must say is rather comfortable!

Anyway, what I would really like to see is reformed churches taking on the passion and other good qualities of the Pentecostal churches (etc) and vice versa. I think the denominations should not be so stand-off-ish of one another but join together to balance each other out, working together as the body of Christ.

That's what we should be doing, after all.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Hi Me,
Interesting post. Definitely thought-provoking! I belong to a rather traditional Lutheran church, and I don't know much about Baptist churches at all. I know what you mean, though, about it being one or the other -- thoughts or feelings -- and I would say, in my church, the definite emphasis is on, as you put it, "feelings and evangelism".
Thanks for the food for thought! I'll definitely keep reading!

.:MismatchedSockGirl:.

Emily said...

Oh, and I wanted to add that I love the last paragraph of your post -- about different denomonations putting aside their differences and working together as the body of Christ. That's a big issue with me! Have you ever heard the song, "What this world needs", by Casting Crowns (my all-time favorite music group EVER!)? It addresses this issue.

Edge said...

A nice balance of logic and imagination - that reminds me of some one I know and curiously has my name:-p. These are great thoughts! The church needs that balance of logic and imagination too. To borrow from BEn Franklin: We must hang together or assuredly we shall hang separately.

Me said...

Mismatchedsocksgirl: Yes recently I've been feeling more and more strongly that the Church should be working together. Thanks for your comments! I'm not sure if I've heard that song (although I definitely have heard others by Casting Crowns).

Edge: Thanks for your comment. I like that Ben Franklin quote. :p